The Institution of Civil Engineering (ICE) Training Programme consists of a technical training programme plus a specially designed Management programme (ILM Endorsed Portfolio 4 programme). This package is to assist civil engineers sitting the Technician Engineer, Incorporated Engineer (IEng), Chartered Engineer (CEng) examinations. We offer detailed and attentive mentoring services and a guided and tailored training package for each client’s circumstance.
Focus: Preparing candidate for Professional Reviews
Aim: Training focused for Civil Engineer attempting Incorporated Engineer and Chartered Engineer professional review with the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Who should attend?
This course has been developed specifically for civil engineers who intend to sit the ICE professional review to achieve Technician Engineer, Incorporated Engineer and Chartered Engineer qualification with the Institution of Civil Engineers.
Typical topics covered: (4-7 days course)
- General Overview of the ‘Routes to Membership’ Requirements
- Initial Professional Development
- Preparing for Professional Review
- Demonstrating the Key Attributes:
- Engineering Knowledge & Understanding
- Engineering Application
- Management & Leadership
- Independent Judgement & Responsibility
- Commercial Ability
- Health, Safety & Welfare
- Sustainable Development
- Interpersonal Skills and Communication
- Professional Commitment
- The Experience Report
- The Project Report
- The Professional Review
- The Presentation: The Interview / The Written Assignment
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
What are the benefits?
- Gain understanding of the professional review
- A better perspective of the processes and realistic time scale
- Increased chances of passing the professional review
Management Development For Engineers – Portfolio 4 (ILM Endorsed)
|Portfolio 4.0 – ILM Endorsed Programme.
|Duration: 5 Days + Exam
Management Development For Engineers
(A) Managing Knowledge &
(B) Managing Application to Practice (1d)
– Successful Meetings
(C) Leadership, Management and
(D) Interpersonal Skills (1d)
– Body Language In Interviews
(E) Personal Commitment – Self Motivation
Portfolio 4.0 – Programme
As an experienced engineer you will directly understand the correlation between your specific technical knowledge, your team understanding of what you require and the juggling act which is getting these key areas aligned. Career Change Wales, with our extensive engineering background knows exactly what elements you need to increase your effectiveness in this vital area. The leadership development modules within this extensive programme will allow you to build, motivate and lead any team, regardless of experience in a way which allows you to watch them take themselves to new heights instead of you having to push them there.
Professional engineering competence is an amalgam of knowledge, understanding, skill, values and a respect for the environment. The process through which engineering professionals become competent generally involves a combination of formal education, further education and training and experience (general known as professional development). By integrating management skills with this professional development, this Portfolio assists candidates with obtaining their developmental objectives and gaining their professional qualifications.
Whilst this portfolio offers candidates the opportunity to gain additional management qualifications, it is targeted specifically for the construction industry (subject to passing an examination) and is designed to enhance a balanced mix and understanding of management and engineering required to successfully deliver a project, whether from a client’s or designer’s perspective.
Who Should Attend?
Graduates or Engineers at any level, seeking to develop their career. Sometimes, true understanding of these important elements becomes lost or obscured as the details and daily chores of engineering management demand immediate technical responses. Whether you are a partner, a sole operator or employee, this extensive and informative programme works equally well as a developmental tool or a refresher course.
Pre-course work to be completed before the course, including the completion of a learning contract, individual requirements assessed with a Career Change Wales mentor, all modules over five and a half days to be attended and post course written evaluation from each delegate.
- Making the most of your meetings instead of meeting for meeting’s sake!
- Creating a self motivated team of professionals, using their needs to build your (and their) effectiveness
- Building the right team dynamic to secure the end result!
- Interpersonal relations and performance. The why, what and when of leading teams
- Planning and building the business, exploring the nuts and bolts of a secure business and marketing strategy
- Keeping your CV up to date and teaching it to work on your behalf
- Communicating to those who are from different professional backgrounds. No more blank faces or misunderstandings
- Creating a seamless integration of management and engineering including aspects of Health & Safety regulations, understanding and respecting the environment
- Report writing which will form an integral part of the risk assessment writing, reporting processes and clear communications skills
- A participative, practical and informative course that involves you from the start
- Increased awareness of your own communication style and how you can enhance its effectiveness on others from different backgrounds
- Develop skills that encourage people to ‘own’ tasks and solve problems effectively without you needing to hold their hand continually
- Build greater trust and support in your relationships with your key people and peers
- Learn how to change the focus of your motivation skills to allow this key area to jump up several levels
- Leading the team is more detailed than people realise, know when to lead and when to manage
- Will have a balanced understanding of management at all levels and, using this, be able to deliver clear, concise messages to clients, peers and colleagues
- Develop a rounded approached and clear understanding in the protocol of communication and delegation